Rooting is the Android counterpart of jailbreaking, a way of unlocking the operating system so you can install unapproved apps, deleted unwanted bloatware, update the OS, replace the firmware, overclock (or underclock) the processor, customize anything and so on. If you got the Amazon Prime Edition, rooting the Blu R1 HD is a little bit tricky. We have to convert the Amazon Prime Edition Blu R1 HD to OEM version first then we install a custom recovery before flashing the Supersu.
This guide is broken up into three parts. Unlocking the bootloader, installation of custom recovery and rooting the phone. If your bootloader is already unlocked, skip the bootloader unlocking part and skip to rooting the phone. Also please note that the bootloader can sometimes re-lock itself after completing a conversion/restorationof OS especially to/from the Prime version, so if you’re not sure, play it safe and re-unlock your bootloader.
How to Root Blu R1 HD
Rooting your Blu R1 HD will open your device to customization and performance tweaks. While rooting Android is a safe process, it will void all the manufacturer’s warranties. Do it at your own risk!
Download all the necessary files below.
Part 1 – Unlocking the bootloader:
1. Boot up your phone. If you haven’t already gone through the initial setup process, go through it. The bootloader unlock process will wipe your phone.
2. Open the Settings app, go to About device then tap the build number 8-10 times until it says you are now a developer.
3. Go back to the main Settings menu. You should see a new option where About device used to be, Developer options! Click on it.
4. Toward the top of the long list of developer options, there is an option called “OEM unlocking”. If it’s switched off, switch it on. If it’s switched on, switch it off and back on again. You may get a warning saying that device protection features won’t work. Click Enable and proceed. You may also be prompted to enter your password/PIN/pattern lock if you have one.
5. Scroll down a little bit to reveal USB debugging. Switch it on if it’s not already.
6. Extract the ADB Fastboot Tools zip file to a folder. Let’s name it ADB Fastboot. You can put the folder at the desktop window for easy access.
7. Turn off your device.
8. Enter Fastboot mode by pressing Volume up and Power button simultaneously. Choose Fastboot mode or boot into bootloader.
9. Connect the device to PC using a USB cable.
10. Go to ADB Fastboot folder and right click Run Me.bat file and run as administrator.
Type this command:
fastboot oem unlock (press Enter)
11. Wait for the ADB to successfully unlock the bootloader. It will erase all your files and restore the device to its factory condition.
Part 2 – Installation of Custom Recovery:
This is the guide on how to install TWRP to Blu R1 HD. You must unlock the bootloader using the steps above before doing this part.
Flashing the recovery file:
1. Download the TWRP file from the link above to the ADB Fastboot folder on your desktop.
2. Boot your device into Fastboot mode by holding Volume Up and Power buttons until the phone turn on with the boot menu.
3. Connect the device to PC.
4. Go to ADB FAstboot folder and right click Run Me.bat file and run as administrator.
Type these commands:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-1-r1hd-lopestom.img (press Enter and wait until flashing is finished )
fastboot reboot (press Enter)
You now have a TWRP custom recovery on your Blu R1 HD!
Part 3- Rooting the Blu R1 HD
1. Download and transfer the SuperSU zip file from the download link above to the root folder of your device’s storage (outside any folder).
2. Turn off your device and go into recovery mode by pressing Volume up and Power button simultaneously.Tap on “Install” and select the SuperSU zip file that you transferred to your device in Step 1.
3. Tap on “Install” and select the SuperSU zip file that you transferred to your device in Step 1.After selecting the .zip file, do “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of
4. After selecting the .zip file, do “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of screen to begin the flashing process.
5. Once SuperSU is flashed, you’ll get “Reboot System” option, select it.
Congratulations! Your device should be rooted now. Look for the SuperSU app in app drawer.