Today, we will discuss the way on how to install TWRP and root Samsung Galaxy J1 Mini 2016 to get “root access”. This root access can turn Android users from regular one into a “superuser”. As a superuser, you can now overcome limitations that manufacturers imposed on the device, giving you full access to the Android system. With this root privilege, changing firmware, fonts, modifications and performance tweaks that were previously forbidden are now possible. Below are the advantages and disadvantages of getting root access:
Advantages of Rooting Galaxy J1 Mini SM-J105B?
- Installation of custom ROMs and kernels for improved performance.
- Kill background processes to improve battery life and system performance.
- Delete those worthless pre-installed applications.
- Effortless back-up of apps and data using Titanium backup.
What about the disadvantages?
- Applications that requires root access may abuse that privilege and pry into other applications posing a security risk.
- Samsung will void all the device’s warranties.
- The chance of bootloop, soft-brick and other problems that may arise during rooting.
If you really insist on rooting your device in spite of its disadvantages, continue reading the guide below.
Easy Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy J1 Mini SM-J105B
While rooting is generally a safe process, you can encounter problems during the rooting operation. Please follow the procedure carefully to minimize the risk of bootloop or bricking. This guide is for educational purpose only. We are not responsible for any loss of data or damages while using this guide. Do it at your own risk!
Please download all the needed files from the link below. You also need a computer with Windows OS and a standard USB cable before proceeding.
This method involves replacing the existing stock recovery with a custom one called TWRP and flashing a file called SuperSu.
Installation of TWRP
- Download and install the Samsung USB drivers on your Windows machine. Without these drivers, the Odin application can’t detect the device while in download mode.
- Get the SM-J105B Tools and extract the content to your preferred folder. We recommend to put it on the desktop for convenience.
- Extract the Odin 3 archive file to a folder. After extraction, locate the Odin 3 executable file and run it as administrator.
- Turn off your phone for a few seconds then boot your device into download mode by holding down Power Button + Volume Down + Home Button at the same time.
- Connect your Galaxy j1 Mini 2016 to your computer using a USB cable. If Odin fails to recognized your device, please reinstall the USB drivers. Odin3 will recognize your device as another COM Port. At the lower-left of Odin interface, it should show a message that says “Added!” Go to Odin interface the check the “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” options. Leave the re-partition option unchecked. I repeat do not tick the re-partition option!
- Click on AP/PDA option in order to locate and load the TWRP file. Find SM-J105B TWRP.tar that you downloaded earlier and load it in Odin. Please don’t edit other default Odin settings.
- Click on START to begin the flashing process. Wait until the flashing is done. This will take some time. Do not turn off the phone or disconnect it from the computer! When the flashing process is finished and if everything goes well, you should see a big green box saying “RESET” or “PASSED” (depends on the version of Odin is used). By now, the device should be rebooted and it is safe to remove/unplug your device.
Flashing the SuperSu
- Go to the folder where you extracted the SM-J105B Tools archive. Copy the SuperSu_v276.zip file to the root of your SD card or device memory. Do not extract this zip file!
- Turn off your phone and boot the device into recovery mode. To do so, press Power+ Volume Up + Home buttons simultaneously.
- On the TWRP interface, the first thing that we will do is create a Nandroid backup. Just restore this backup if things don’t go as planned.
- After securing a backup, go to the main menu then press Install tab. Locate the SuperSu_v276.zip file that you copied earlier.
- Swipe to begin the root installation. Wait for a few seconds until flashing is finished.
- Go back to main menu and press Reboot to restart the system. Ignore any request to update or install root/SuperSu or TWRP.
- Go to your app folder and find the SuperSu application. Tap it to launch the app.
- Go the SuperSu app settings then activate SuperUser. If the application asks if you’ll update the Su binaries, select the TWRP/CWM option.
To confirm if flashing is successful, please download any root checker from Play Store and check for the root access. Congratulations!