This tutorial will teach you the way on how to root Wiko Lenny 3 using the most effective way. This guide is prepared for the Android beginners to help them understand the basics of installing custom recoveries and rooting. After completing this tutorial, you’ll find yourself in an average level of expertise in Wiko Lenny 3 customization. You will be ready in doing more complex modifications like swapping ROMs and overclocking.
What is the Importance of Rooting?
Android is an open-source operating system, but it doesn’t mean the whole thing is open. Many phone makers and carriers often put restrictions on their devices for security and brand protection. These limitations blocked device users from changing the default firmware or even delete the pre-installed applications.
Users need root access to overcome these limitations and take back control of the device. With root access, you’ll become a superuser. As a superuser, you can have unconstrained access to the source code and the whole operating system. With root access, deleting pre-installed bloatware is possible and you can even install custom ROMs on the device.
Here are the benefits and disadvantages of rooting:
Advantages of Rooting
- Total control of the Android device.
- Unhindered access to the operating system
- Flashing custom firmware is possible
- Installation of applications that require root access (e.g. Titanium backup, Greenify, Link2SD)
- Block unwanted ads using Adblocker
- Delete bloatware
- Improved battery life by stopping unnecessary processes and tasks.
What are the Downsides of Rooting?
- Rooting the device means waiving all the device’s warranties
- Applications that requires root access may abuse that privilege and pry into other applications posing a security risk.
- The chance of bootloop, soft-brick and other problems that may arise during rooting.
How to Root Wiko Lenny 3
This rooting method includes flashing a custom recovery called TWRP to replace the stock one. While using a custom recovery, flashing the SuperSu file and custom ROMs are possible. Please follow the tutorial on how to install TWRP on your Wiko Lenny 3.
Flashing a custom recovery and rooting are safe processes as long as you follow all the instructions. This guide is for educational purpose only. We are not responsible for any damaged device while using this tutorial. Do it at your own risk!
Please download all the needed files from the links below. A Windows computer and a working USB cable are also needed for this method to work. A fully-charged battery or a charge of 50% or more is recommended.
Installing TWRP to Wiko Lenny 3
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on the Developer Options. This option is hidden by default. To reveal it, go to Settings>About phone and tap build number 7 times or until the options show up.
- Download and install the MediaTek VCOM drivers on your Windows machine.
- Please download the TWRP and Root files from the link above. Extract the contents to a folder on the desktop for easy retrieval.
- Get the SP Flashtool archive then extract it to the folder where you placed the TWRP and root files. Launch the SP Flashtool executable file.
- On the SP Flashtool UI, go to Download tab. Click on the Scatter-loading and load the scatter-loading file from the TWRP/Root file folder.
- On the drop down menu, select Download Only.
- Uncheck all the boxes except recovery.
- Click RECOVERY box from the list and load the TWRP recovery image.
- Click the Download button with a green arrow.
- Now turn the phone off or remove its battery and connect it to the computer.
- Immediately toggle Volume Up button momentarily, and your device will be detected.
- The SP Flashtool will now initiate the flashing of TWRP.
- Wait for a few seconds until a green tick or circle comes on the screen.
Rooting Wiko Lenny 3
After the successful installation of TWRP, we will now proceed to the rooting process.
- Copy the SuperSu zip file to the root of the device’s external SD card. Do not extract the zip archive!
- Boot your device into recovery mode. Turn off the phone for a few seconds or briefly remove the battery. Now press and hold the Volume Up+Power buttons simultaneously. This button combination will trigger the device to boot into recovery mode.
- On the TWRP Ui, swipe to allow the modifications to the system.
- Protect yourself from any possible problem by creating a Nandroid backup using TWRP backup option. Just restore this backup if the need arises.
- Go back to the main menu then Tap Install tab. Look for the SuperSu file on your SD card. Swipe to confirm flash as shown in the image below.
- If TWRP asks you if you want to install the official TWRP app and install SuperSu, tap Do not Install.
- Reboot your device into normal mode. After rebooting, go to the app drawer, find the SuperSu app and launch the application.
- Update the SU Binaries by choosing the TWRP/CWM option.
Congratulations! You now have root access on your Wiko Lenny 3. Please like our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter and Google Plus for more Android updates. Thank you.